Restore Question

От Chris Ruprecht
Тема Restore Question
Дата
Re: Restore Question  ("Chad R. Larson" <clarson@eldocomp.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I'm upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2. Right now, I'm busy doing backups,
so I have a little time to think.
I'm thinking of changing some of the int8 fields into int4 fields,
since this would save about 4 bytes/record and with 25 Million
records, this is 100 MB just in the data per field, but the int8
values are also used in a few indexes, so I might save maybe a GB or
so.
The problem is, that the file which contains the pg_dump data is 2.8
GB in size and I don't want to tackle that with an editor. (Schema
info lives in the front of the file, then follows the data, then
follow the indexes).

In the old days, before editors where written is such a way that they
suck all the data into their buffer all at once, we had stuff which
only loaded so-and-so many KB at a time. Is there still something
like that out there which is safe to use with a Postgres dump file?

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre